1. Before changing your settings
Make sure that your amounts are not formatted as text in excel or using the comma "," as thousands separator!
2. How to change the character used to separate thousands or decimals in Excel settings?
By default, Microsoft Excel uses the system separators that are defined in the regional settings in Control Panel. If you sometimes need to display numbers with different separators for thousands or decimals, you can temporarily replace the system separators with custom separators.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button and then click Excel Options.
- On the Advanced tab, under Editing options, clear (untick) the Use system separators check box.
- Type new separators in the Decimal separator and Thousands separator boxes.TIP: When you want to use the system separators again, select the Use system separators check box.
- We recommend to use comma "," as decimal separator
NOTE: For a permanent solution, you must change the regional settings in Control Panel.
If you have feedback on this article, or you think another article would be worthwhile and helpful, drop us a message with your suggestions and we will get right on it - also, please give us a rating below if this article was helpful!